The fish introduced to our lake in September 2012 were Mirror carp, Rudd (Silver and a few Golden varieties) and Golden orfes. The Mirror carp are particuarly beautiful and our largest caught so far has been Bessie (16lbs) and Bruno (likely to be 18lbs now). The Golden orfes have only ever been caught twice, weighing in at approximately 5lbs.
In May 2016 we added Common carp and a new bloodline of particularly scaley Mirror carp to compliment our current stock.
As of June 2016 we now also stock stunning green Tench and our first predatory fish, Chub.
We were chosen in July 2016 to participate in the Crucian Carp Conservation Network, so now also stock DNA certified pure Crucian Carp!
The lake also contains sizeable European eels.
UK Llamas is a CEFAS registered fishing lake, built 15 years ago, with the first fish only being introduced in 2012. Because of this there is an established eco-system and abundant food source for our fish. The lake has until now has only ever been fished by ourselves to determine the fish's size and quality.
The lake is roughly 70m x 35m with an island at its centre, 13 feet deep at its deepest point; becoming shallower at one end. We have five hand crafted swims dotted around the lakes edge, designed with the anglers comfort in mind. They not only have timber chair platforms, but also elevated rod rests and tackle box areas. It is surrounded by trees with llamas grazing in the fields (not a common fishing trip sight!). The trees act as a wind break, making this a calm fishing spot.
Fisherman are welcome to use the lakeside log cabin to hang up their gear or to have a break from bad weather to warm up by the gas heater! There is also a variety of fishing books to have a flick through.
Fishing Rod License:
- All anglers must be in possession of the appropriate Environment Agency or equivalent rod licence. This must be shown when signing in at the UK Llamas office before fishing.
- Anglers must dip their nets and landing mats in the disinfection tubs available in the car park area before going into the lake area (diseases can be carried on anglers’ gear). The disinfectant is fishery industry standard Virkon Aquatic.
Number of Rods:
- Only TWO rods and line can be used at any time per person, this also includes hand lines and poles. Day ticket price is for ONE rod. Extra rod is £5.
- Catch and release only.
- Barbless hooks only.
- No keepnets allowed.
- Landing mats must be used to lay the fish on once caught.
- All fish are to be handled with care (especially their fins). Once photographed they must be swiftly returned to the water.
- No meat bait.
- No floating bait.
- 'Tiger nuts' must be prepared properly before use as a bait.
- Cars can be parked inside the compound area or outside the farm (vehicles are left at owners own risk).
- Anglers and guests are not permitted to walk in the fields, other than the direct path to the lake.
- All gates must be closed behind you.
- All litter must be taken home or put in the bin, especially discarded line.
- Children under 16 must be accompanied by an adult.
-CCTV and infrared sensors are used around the lake and on the farm at night, alerting the police and UK Llamas’ office. Poachers will be prosecuted.
- Our guanaco (related to the llama) may be grazing in the lake area. He is inquisitive, friendly but does not like to be touched. You may be sniffed and then left alone.
- Do not feed the llamas, alpacas or guanaco - they are on strict diets.
- The rheas are aggressive, do not approach their fence line.
All fishing has to be pre-arranged before arriving at New House Farm.
Fishing at UK Llamas
We welcome fishermen to come and visit our lake to catch pristine fish that have never been caught before. All visits have to be pre-arranged, please call or email. We are situated on the A3066, with parking in front and within the farm. Please ring the bell at the 5 bar gate, if there is no answer - please walk round to the front of the house and knock on the door. We will show you to the lake via our llama and alpaca herd.
Adult Day Ticket (8am - dusk) - £7.00
Extra Rod - £5.00
(Max of 2)
Non-Fishing Ticket (8am - dusk) - £5.00 (only if accompaning a full paying adult)
Children 12 and under (8am - dusk) - Free
(only if accompaning a full paying adult,
1 child per adult)
Swim reservation - £2.00
Rod hire - £4.00
Flask of hot tea/coffee - £2.00
Bacon sandwich with ketchup/HP - £2.50
*Owner's reserve the right to refuse entry (for any reason) or ask an angler to leave due to any violation of the land, lakes or rules.*
A particular swim (fishing point) can be reserved prior to your fishing day at an extra cost of £2. to see further swim information. Please mention reserving a swim when you book so as to avoid dissapointment.